Everybody knows somebody who has been diagnosed with diabetes. Diabetes is actually quite a common condition across humans affection 1 out 4 of them. However, there are different types of diabetes as well, such as type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, and gestational diabetes. This article, however, has been written to highlight the different causes, symptoms, and treatment for type 2 diabetes.
In Type 2 diabetes, the ability of the body to metabolize glucose (which acts as a source of energy to your body) is compromised. The hormone insulin, which is produced by the pancreases to help with this carrying of glucose from the blood to the cells is affected whereby no insulin is produced, or very less insulin is produced which is not able to maintain the normal levels of glucose in the body.
Causes Of Diabetes Type 2
The development of Type 2 diabetes has a lot to do with the kind of lifestyle one leads. Therefore, if you are looking for causes of diabetes type 2, you will have to consider the following risk factors-
- Being overweight: Being overweight is one of the main factors that could contribute to developing diabetes. However, not being overweight does not mean that the condition will not develop.
- Fat on the abdomen: If a person’s fat gets accumulated on the abdomen than on the hips and the thighs, he or she is at a higher risk of developing diabetes.
- Family history: If there is a direct relative such as your parent or sibling who has diabetes, the chances are that you may have diabetes as well.
- Lack of physical activity: Physical activities are very important to maintain a healthy weight and to increase the energy absorption levels in the body.
- Pre-diabetes: If a person has high sugar levels even though such levels cannot be classified as diabetes, such a person is said to be pre-diabetic.
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome: Polycystic ovarian syndrome is quite common in women and can cause them to gain immense amounts of weight, which can lead to diabetes.
- Gestational diabetes: Women who develop diabetes while being pregnant are also at a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Age and race: Anyone above the age of 40 is at risk of developing diabetes as production starts to become slow. Races such as Hispanic or Asian are more susceptible to diabetes than Caucasians.
Diabetes Type 2 Symptoms
It is actually quite possible to have this condition for years without even realising it. Therefore, if you notice some or all of the symptoms as mentioned below, you should get tested for diabetes. Some of the diabetes type 2 symptoms are-
- Frequent need to pee
- Frequent bursts of hunger and thirst
- Unplanned weight loss
- Getting tired easily
- Being tired even after rest
- Blurred vision
- Sores that take a long time to heal
- Being susceptible to infections
- Areas on the skin becoming dark
Treatment For Diabetes Type 2
One will have to put in all efforts towards a healthier lifestyle to help treat diabetes. Your health care professional may also give you medication or suggest therapy. Below mentioned are a few options of treatment for diabetes type 2-
- Eating healthy: Foods having lower calories, carbohydrates, fats, and fewer
- Sugar levels should become part of your staple diet. You can, however, once in a while have a cheat day but also ensure that you are able to compensate for it.
- Physical activity: Physical activity, as mentioned above, will help you in maintaining a weight that is healthy and thus, the insulin production is not hampered.
- Losing weight: If you are overweight or obese, Weightloss can help bring down the sugar levels as well as make you immune to all such diseases which have obesity as a risk factor.
- Constant activity: Moving around at least after every 40 minutes is necessary. The more sits for a longer time, the risk of diabetes becomes higher.
- Insulin therapy and medication: The doctors may even prescribe medication to help bring down the sugar levels as well as suggest insulin therapy wherein insulin will be injected into your body separately.
- Monitoring blood sugar levels: Monitoring the blood sugar levels helps the doctors to realize the kind of changes that will be needed to be made to ensure that the blood sugar levels in the body of the person are not high.
As mentioned above, Type 2 diabetes has a lot to do with the kind of lifestyle a person has. If a person were to practice the phrase Everything Health, he or she will be at a lower risk of developing diabetes. In case you attend any of the symptoms of diabetes, as mentioned above, visit the doctor as soon as possible.