Diabetes is a common health problem and affects 1 out of every 4 people in this world. A person has diabetes if the person’s pancreas is not able to or are only able to produce little insulin. Insulin is a hormone which carries the sugar that is present in the blood to other parts of the body and helps them get energy.
There are 3 main Types Of Diabetes. They are- Type 1 diabetes, Type 2 diabetes, and gestational diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is usually the result of an unhealthy lifestyle, and gestational diabetes could happen to females who are pregnant and whose sugar levels are running off the charts. This article, however, mainly focuses on Type 1 diabetes, its causes, symptoms, and treatment.
Causes Of Diabetes Type 1
The exact reason as to why Type 1 diabetes develops is unknown. However, below, we have mentioned a few common causes that may leave to Type 1 diabetes.
The common causes of diabetes type 1 are-
- Family History: If a person belongs to a family where the father or the mother or even any close direct relative has diabetes, it increases such a person’s risk of getting diabetes. It has also been seen that children with diabetes, more or less, are all type 1 diabetic, and thus utmost cares needs to be taken.
- Dysfunction of the pancreas: Dysfunction of the pancreas can affect the amount of insulin that enters the cells of the human body. In such a situation, the sugar is only present in your blood and does not enter the cells to provide for more energy.
- Infections and diseases: Infections and diseases can cause the immune system to become weak. Thus, increasing the risk of developing diabetes.
Symptoms Of Diabetes Type 1
Everyone should always be careful with regards to diabetes, especially if it runs in the family. Below, we have mentioned certain symptoms of diabetes type 1, and they are-
- Increased thirst or/and hunger: Increased thirst or hunger is the first sign or symptom of diabetes. If there is a family history of diabetes, this could be a good enough reason to get tested.
- Fatigue or being tired all the time: Since energy is not able to reach the cells of the body, diabetes can also cause fatigue or tiredness.
- Frequent visits to the bathroom to pee: Loss of bladder control is also a symptom of diabetes as diabetes has a grave effect on the functioning of the kidneys as well.
- Weight loss without doing any kind of physical activity: Since no energy is reaching the cells, the body is becoming weak, and weight loss occurs, if there is drastic Weightloss without any kind of physical activity, get checked for diabetes.
Diabetes Type 1 Treatment
Diabetes type 1 treatment includes the following:-
- Taking Insulin: If a person has Type 1 diabetes, he or she will have to take the dosage of insulin for the rest of their lives. This dosage can be taken by medication, pumps, or even injecting the insulin into the body.
- Protein, fat, and carbohydrates control: A good and controlled diet of the intake of proteins, fat, and carbohydrates can help control the blood sugar levels in the body.
- Monitoring blood sugar levels frequently: Blood sugar levels are required to be tested on a daily basis. These levels help decide the dosage of insulin that your body may require.
- Eating healthy: As mentioned above, have fruits and vegetables such as carrots, cucumber, etc. which are controlled in the intake of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates, This can help control the blood sugar levels.
- Regular exercise and healthy weight: Regularly exercising helps a person to maintain a particular weight. Maintaining a healthy weight, especially if a diabetic is very important as obesity can cause bigger problems to such a person who is diabetic than a person who has a maintained weight.
A diabetic patient needs to ensure the life of Everything Health. As mentioned above, Type 1 diabetes, unlike Type 2 or Gestational diabetes is not caused due to external factors or what one consumes. Type 1 diabetes find its place in the familial history of the person. Therefore, if you have a close relative such as father, mother, sister, with diabetes, it is always a good practice to avoid such factors as well as get regular health check-ups done.