One has to ensure that their child has proper oral and dental health care. It is a life-long investment that you make for your child and something that your child will always thank you for. This is because cavities in the teeth need to be avoided at all costs. If your child gets cavities in his childhood, it increases the risk of your child attracting cavities even in adulthood.
Therefore ensuring kids oral care is essential for good and healthy permanent teeth as well. As a parent, it is your responsibility to make your kid understand why oral health care is important. The articles further elaborate on why kids oral care is important and also a few oral health care tips.
Why is oral and dental health care important
According to Everything Health primary teeth in children are developed between the ages of 0 to 3 and are 20 in number rather than 32 as seen in adults. The primary teeth of kids start to get replaced by permanent teeth around the age of 6, and the replacing of the primary teeth can go up till the age of 12 and in some cases even up to 14.
Primary teeth are essential for children as it these teeth which help the kids to chew their food as well as learn to talk. Good teeth are essential to learning correct pronunciations.
When primary teeth are being replaced by permanent teeth, it does not all happen at the same time, and that is the reason that damaged primary teeth can have an effect on the new permanent teeth as it increases the risk of the child developing cavities on his permanent teeth as well.
Oral and dental health care tips
From the above mentioned, you are now aware that practicing good oral and dental health care is very important for your child and habits your child will have lifelong. Below are a few tips that you can make your child follow to ensure his or her good oral and dental health.
- Make sure that your child brushes twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste. This helps in removing the plaque settled on the teeth. It is this plaque that is the main cause of tooth decay. Make sure that the toothpaste is light in fluoride as too much fluoride can also cause damage to the teeth.
- Ensure that your child flosses daily as it will ensure that plaque is removed from under the gum line and from between the teeth. If tartar is formed, it will warrant a visit to the doctor.
- Ensure that your child has a diet not high on sugar or starch. These foods will produce an acidic reaction in the mouth which causes plaque which causes tooth decay. In case you want to have much sugar or starch content, you can combine it with food so that the acidic formed in the mouth during meals is able to fight off the plaque forming acid.
- Use such products for oral and dental health care which are light in fluoride, as it fights off plaque.
- You should ensure that the water your child has to drink has fluoride present in it. Usually, fluoride content in water is divided by the municipality you belong to. However, if that is not the case, your dentist can prescribe you fluoride supplements
- Make sure your child washes out his mouth with water after every meal.
- Visit the dentist for regular check-ups can also be a great way to ensure oral and dental health.
From the above mentioned it is clear that oral and dental health care is necessary from childhood. Properly maintained primary teeth do not affect the permanent teeth that a child develops in his primitive years. However, in cases otherwise, it can cause a risk of cavities even on the permanent teeth. We have also provided seven tips that parents can follow to ensure that their child practices good oral and dental hygiene. Its parents’ responsibility to ensure that your child practices good oral and dental hygiene and the result of such practice will be beneficial for your child lifelong.