Menopause is the event wherein a woman’s men’s cycle comes to an end, and this usually happens in and around the age of 50. It is a natural biological process and is diagnosed when a woman has had not had her period for over 12 months. There are a limited number of eggs present in the ovaries of a woman, once all these eggs are over, periods stop, which is called menopause.
Menopause usually creates a lot of hormonal changes in women, which can cause physical as well as emotional side effects. Hair loss is one of the side effects of menopause. To know the causes, symptoms, and tips for Prevention For Hair Loss during menopause, continue reading further.
Causes Of Hair Loss During Menopause
Not all women going through menopause will experience hair fall. However, it has been noted to be quite common. If you are experiencing hair loss during menopause, given below are a few causes of hair loss during menopause-
- Hormones: Female hormones have a very big role in a woman’s hair, having a beautiful and thick texture. Therefore, when the level of female hormones decreases in a woman’s body, the level of male hormones increase, which can cause some hair follicles to fail. This leads to the hair growing out thinner and none at all after some time.
- Stress: Many women who are undergoing menopause also experience extremely high levels of stress since all the hormones in the body are on an overdrive. This can also cause hair loss during menopause.
- Genetic predisposition: Women who have a family history of hair loss are more likely to experience hair loss during menopause.
- Hair loss treatments: During menopause, women try each and every treatment they think will help in reducing or stopping their hair loss. However, this could work in the opposite manner, and it is best to consult a doctor as to which course of action be taken.
Symptoms Of Hair Loss During Menopause
There are quite a few Signs And Symptoms Of Hair Loss that a woman who is going through menopause will notice with regards to her hair loss and some of the symptoms of hair loss during menopause are-
- Excessive hair loss during hair wash: If you are around 50 and along with a few more factors of menopause, strands of your hair easily break away and come in your hand while washing the hair, it is a symptom of hair loss during menopause.
- Excessive hair loss while combing the hair: As mentioned above, if you are around 50 years and experiencing other symptoms of menopause, you are going through menopause if while combing your hair, the hair easily breaks away from the scalp and onto the comb.
- Thinning of the hair: Thinning of the hair, especially prior thick hair, is a definite symptom of hair loss due to menopause if you are around that age.
- The appearance of bald patches: After a few weeks of experiencing thinning of the hair due to menopause, certain bald patches start forming around the areas where the hair follicles have stopped growing due to menopause.
Preventing Hair Loss During Menopause
Below mentioned are a few tips for preventing hair loss during menopause-
- Keep stress levels in check: As mentioned above, stress is one of the main causes of hair loss during menopause. Try to meditate frequently while going through menopause, especially when you feel strong negative emotions.
- Exercise: Exercise is the best forms of ensuring that your hair remains healthy for a long period of time. Menopause can make you feel lethargic, but do not let it stop you from exercising.
- Healthy diet: A diet which is healthy and especially rich in Vitamin E can help keep your hair healthier and thus can help prevent hair loss. Foods such as avocados, sunflower seeds, etc. are said to be rich in Vitamin E and Regrow Hair Naturally.
- Keep yourself hydrated: It is a popular opinion that water is the best medicine of all. Keeping yourself hydrated will ensure that your hair also remains hydrated as well as being able to receive the nutrients present in the body.
- Stay natural: Once you are going through menopause, stop with heat and chemical treatments to the hair. Such treatments cause damage and easy breakage.
- Used prescribed medication and treatments: Your doctor will be able to prescribe you the best treatment shampoos and medications for the symptoms of your menopause, especially hair loss. Consult your doctor rather than taking over the counter medication.
Menopause is a painful time for any woman. It is when every emotion is heightened, and the feeling of ‘being old’ actually sets in. As a woman, you may notice many side effects of going through menopause, but do not let that bring you down. Taking care of yourself during menopause is essential and requires you to believe that health is still the most important thing to consider. You can follow Everything Health tips on how to prevent hair loss during menopause, in case you think it is required.