Blood pressure is basically the force of blood against the walls of arteries, and it can increase because of various reasons such as age-related narrowing of the walls of arteries, some underlying medical problems and excessive sodium intake by an individual. Let us look at the ways in which mediation and yoga help to lower down blood pressure.
Meditation For Lowering High Blood Pressure
Meditation is a very common mind-body practice which helps a person to relax his/her and is a promising exercise to get relief from high blood pressure. By using meditation to prevent high blood pressure, a person can also boost your defense against heart disease, stroke, and Chronic Kidney Disease.
- Lowering of blood pressure by using meditation is still a topic on which researchers are trying to research.
- Meditation appears to be a calm activity in the sympathetic nervous system, which is known to narrow the blood vessel in response to stress and increases activity in the parasympathetic nervous system, which widens the blood vessels.
The study suggests that Transcendental Meditation technique stimulates genes that produce telomerase – an enzyme which is largely responsible for reducing blood pressure and even mortality rate.
- Basically, Transcendental Meditation is a type of meditation that involves the procedure of sitting comfortably by closing the eyes for a minimum of around 20 minutes. If this is practiced twice a day, it will help you to achieve complete rest of body and mind.
Yoga For High Blood Pressure Control
Researches have shown that physical activity helps in lowering down blood pressure and hence yoga can be one of best ways of reducing high blood pressure as yoga asanas involve breathing consciously and deeply while synchronizing your body movements. These asanas can soothe the nerves and can also help in slowing down the abnormal heart rate. Yoga helps a lot in increasing immunity in your body and also reduces the risk of various heart problems. Since obesity is one of the major reason for high blood pressure and various yoga asanas can help you in reducing your weight. Yoga indeed gives positive energy and makes your mind happier and more hopeful. Here is some yoga asana that can be performed to reduce high blood pressure.
- Shishuasana:- It relieves stress and fatigue and also normalizes blood circulation.
- Vajrasana:- This asana can be performed even after lunch or dinner, and it helps to control obesity and increases blood flow to the lower abdomen.
- Paschimottanasana:- It helps in reducing fatty deposits in the abdominal region and also acts as an effective stress reliever and normalizes high blood pressure.
- Shavasana:- It helps in relieving stress, Depression, and fatigue and prepares the body for a sound sleep. It helps in the proper blood circulation in the human body.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana:- This asana stimulates the heart and the human nervous system, which thereby helps in reducing high blood pressure.
- Virasana:- This asana increases blood circulation around the legs and thighs and helps in regulating high blood pressure.
Pranayamas for high blood pressure
Apart from yoga asana, there is some pranayama which can also help in reducing high blood pressure. These are listed below:
- Kapal Bhati pranayama (skull shining breathing technique).
- Bhramari pranayama (bee breath).
- Nadi shodan pranayama (alternate nostril breathing technique).
- Full yogic breathing.
Performing yoga also requires some precautions such as shirshasana Adho Mukha vrksasana as in these poses; the head is at a low level than your heart which can lead to a sudden rush of blood to the head.
Most of Everything Health related issues can be resolved through yoga and meditation. On one side where mediation is a technique that connects you to your inner being and refreshes your soul and mind, whereas yoga is a mind-body therapy based on movement. So both yoga and meditation, along with a proper diet, should be done to control blood pressure.