Are you sleeping too much?
To know the answer to this question first, we should understand what oversleeping is? Oversleeping is often called Hypersomnia or long-sleeping, and current research of the National Sleep Foundation suggests that somewhere in between seven to nine hours for adults and seniors is considered as normal sleep. This means that if you are sleeping more than this range, than you need to plan your sleep accordingly.
Causes of Oversleeping
There are different reasons that might cause you to oversleep, such as:
- A lack of sleep: Not getting enough sleep in the night is one of the most basic reasons which can lead to oversleeping in the long run. In such situations, you didn’t get sleep at night and want to sleep more in the morning, which can disturb your personal and professional life.
- Thyroid Issues: Having hormonal disbalance and thyroid issues can also lead us to sleep more, and in the long run, it can lead to oversleeping.
- Heart Disease: Heart problems can lead to both actions like sometimes you sleep more, and sometimes you sleep less.
- Sleep Apnea: It is the condition when you are unable to breathe during sleep, and Symptoms of Sleep Apnea cause you to lose your conscious, and it pushes you to deep sleep and causes oversleeping.
- Depression: It is the condition when you take mental stress of something personal and professional, and it causes mental changes, and this causes oversleeping.
- Narcolepsy: It is a lifelong nervous system disorder that causes abnormal sleep that can affect a person’s quality of life, and it causes oversleeping.
- Medicines: There are several medicines that can affect our body cycles and can make us sleep more or less. Due to our imbalance body cycle, we sleep more, and our body makes a habit of sleeping more, which can lead us to some serious health conditions.
Symptoms of Oversleeping
There are various Symptoms through which we can observe that you are oversleeping. Some of them are:
- If you ever wake up and feel tired than this can be considered as a sign that you are sleeping too much.
- If you are feeling Sluggish all day, this is another one symptom.
- If you are getting headaches frequently, then you should consult your doctor about this condition.
- If you are gaining weight suddenly, then you should reconsider your sleeping pattern also along with your diet.
- If you are unable to recall recent incidents, then there are high chances that this is happening due to oversleeping.
- You are feeling depressed.
Oversleeping Side Effects
There are many effects, and side effects of oversleeping, and some of them are:
- Cognitive impairment: Due to oversleeping, there is a lack of coordination in our body.
- Depression: Due to this, we became depresses because our personal and professional life became unbalanced.
- Increased inflammation: There is a higher chance that inflammation can increase.
- Increased pain: There are higher chances that pain can increase.
- Impaired fertility: Various research and studies have shown that due to oversleeping, there is an impairment in fertility.
- Higher risk of obesity: Our body is at great risk of obesity, which can lead to various health diseases.
- Higher risk of diabetes: Due to oversleeping, there is a risk of Diabetes.
- Higher risk of heart disease: As mentioned above, oversleeping may cause obesity, which can lead to various heart diseases.
- Higher risk of stroke: There are various medical conditions that can happen due to oversleeping, and one of them is Stroke.
- Higher all-cause mortality: It is observed that there is a loss in morality.
Balance in Everything Health you do brings satisfaction along with the peace of mind, and this should also be considered in case of sleeping also. Taking an adequate amount of sleep between 7-9 hours is best for us physically as well as mentally. Everybody should maintain this balance to avoid any medical condition.