Knee pain can be very problematic and can interfere in one’s day to day life. There are two different kinds of knee pain; one is the temporary knee pain, which is caused due to an injury or an accident. The other is called a chronic knee pain, which is usually is a symptom or effect of a pre-existing condition.
Causes for knee pain
Some Causes Of Knee Pain are-
- Chondromalacia Patellae
- Baker’s cyst
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Dislocation, torn ligament, bone tumor
- Accident or injury
Knee Pain Exercises
Before indulging in exercises for relief from knee pain, consult a medical professional. Once you have the medical professional’s thumbs up and after always doing a warm-up, you can do the following knee pain exercises.
- Straight leg raises: Lie down on a mat and raise one of your legs straight up without bending the knees. Keep the position for 2 to 3 seconds, come down, and do the same with the other leg. Do 3 sets of 15 each.
- Prone straight leg: Lying down on your belly, and keeping your leg stiff, raise the leg and wait for 2 to 3 seconds. Come back to the actual position and do the same for another leg.
- Wall squats: Without bending your knee and with the wall as your support, come into a sitting position. Hold the position for 10 seconds. Come back up again. Do 3 sets of 8 each.
- Calf raises and step-ups: Use a stepping stool to do calf raises and step ups. All you have to stand completely on foot and while putting a strain on the calf, raise your heels. Do exercise for 3 sets of 30 each.
- Side leg raises: Similar to leg raises, all you have to do is get on to the side and follow the same procedure as given for leg raises.
Massage Therapy For Knee Pain
Mentioned below is renowned massage therapy for knee pain. Prior to starting this therapy, ensure that you have warmed up enough. It is a 6 step by step process, and this is how it goes-
- Thigh tapping to the anterior thigh: Make fists on both hands and start to massage from the upper to the lower thigh rhythmically. Do this 10 times.
- Front things glide: Sit down, straighten your legs with the foot completely on the floor. Use the heel of the hand of the side of the leg you want to massage and slowly applying pressure go from upper thigh to top of the knee.
- Outside thigh glide: Do the above mentioned on the same way for the outside part of the thigh.
- Inner thigh glide: Similarly, do the same for the inside part of the thigh.
- Knee friction: Use fingers to create compression and massage the area up and down for up to 3 to 5 minutes.
- Finishing glide stroke: In a sitting position, stretch your legs with both feet touching the floor and place both your palms on the respective thighs. Apply a little pressure and glide till the shin and then get up gently.
Home Remedies For Knee Pain
There are countless treatments available for knee pain. However, if you are finding home remedies for knee pain, you can use any of the given home remedies.
- Cold therapy: Take a towel and dip it in ice cold water and then apply it to the area where pain can be felt. You will be able to get instant relief.
- Cayenne pepper: Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin which acts as a natural painkiller. Mix 2 spoons of this pepper with olive oil and apply to the area where it pains.
- Ginger: Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties, and rubbing it over the affected area can help reduce the pain.
- Lemon: Citric acid also has anti-inflammatory properties which can help reduce knee pain. Squeeze half a lemon and along with some sesame oil, apply it to the affected area.
As mentioned above, you could be experiencing knee pain due to temporary reasons such as injury or accident or due to underlying conditions or diseases such as arthritis, osteoporosis, etc. Being able to get relief for knee pain is possible, and we have mentioned a few exercises, massage therapy, and home remedies for you to choose from. The phrase Everything Health will, however, require you to do all these very carefully as mistakes can make the pain worse.