Hair loss, a common name given to the medical condition alopecia and is very common amongst humans. Both men, as well as women, can be affected by this; however, it is seen to be more common and evident in men than in women. Hair loss can affect not only one’s scalp but other parts of the body as well.
Hair loss can be due to either decreased hair growth or due to breakage, and the treatment of the hair loss is dependent on the reason for which you are experiencing hair loss. Taking care of your hair is the essential first step that you will have to take to ensure no or less hair fall. The causes, effective treatments, and tips for prevention of hair loss are provided below.
What causes hair loss?
Usually, a person may lose up to 100 strands of hair on a daily basis, and this is not a number one needs to worry about. It is so because here, the hair which is falling is being replaced at the same time. When such a cycle is disrupted, and the hair follicle is replaced by scar tissue, this causes hair loss. Some of the causes are also mentioned below.
- Family history: Family history of hair loss is very common and is one of the most ordinary reasons for hair loss in both men and women. It can be female pattern baldness or male pattern baldness.
- Medical condition and medication: A few medical conditions such as thyroid, pregnancy, cancer, menopause can cause hair loss. Even a few medications have the side effect of hair loss.
- Hormonal changes: Hormonal changes can also cause hair loss. Hormone problems with progesterone in women and testosterone in men are a common reason for hair loss as well.
- Radiation therapy: Radiation therapy, though necessary for cure can also cause hair fall, and the possibility that the hair may not come back the same way as well is also present.
- Harmful hair therapies and treatments: Heat treatments to the hair such as ironing, blow-drying, and chemical treatments such as bleaching can cause hair fall as well.
- Stress: Stress can cause people to be affected by hair loss even after months of the attack. But need not worry, this kind of hair loss is usually temporary in nature.
Effective Way To Treat Hair Loss
The treatment for hair loss includes finding ways to either stop hair loss or reduce father thinning of the hair. Some of the effective way to treat hair loss has been mentioned below.
- Medication: Medication such as Minoxidil or Finasteride can help to treat hair loss. The former is an over the counter medication that can help in reducing the hair fall and in some cases, even provide for regrowth. However, the hair is supposedly thinner than before, and the medication is for both men and women. The latter has the same functions as the former; however, it specifically for men.
- Hair transplant surgery: Hair transplant surgery is the best option when one is facing a permanent kind of hair loss. Here the doctors implant those parts of the skin that do have hair follicles, follicle by follicle to give the head a fuller look. Medication can later be used to prevent hair loss and even to help the hair grow.
- Laser therapy: Laser treatments are a new trend for the treatment of hair loss. It is a low-level laser device and is beneficial in cases where there is hereditary hair loss.
Prevention For Hair Loss
Hair loss due to genetics cannot be controlled. However, as mentioned above, one can go in for laser therapy. Now, if there is hair fall due to a few lifestyle habits, then follow the given tips which can help in the prevention for hair loss-
- Avoid tight braiding or typing up your hair in a tight ponytail. This can cause strain on the roots, and the effect of it will be the hair getting uprooted.
- Wash your hair gently and use good hair products. Also, switch to a wide-toothed comb as it can help reduce hair loss quite a lot.
- Try to avoid taking medication that can cause hair loss.
- Do not style your hair, especially using heat extensively. If possible, try going out with your natural hair as much as possible.
- Quit smoking, as recent studies show a connection between smoking and hair loss.
- Use a cooling cap during chemotherapy as it helps in reducing the amount of hair loss during the therapy.
- Use a satin pillow while sleeping as cotton pillows are known to further hair loss and make the hair rough.
- Eat foods which are high in Vitamin E such as spinach, almonds, peanuts as they can further hair growth as well as keep your hair healthy.
At Everything Health we advise you to follow the best of the practices that will ensure that your hair remains healthy and you do not experience any hair loss. Avoiding hair loss has a lot to do with the nutrients that the roots of your hair are able to get. Therefore ensure that you eat healthily, drink healthy, and keep on doing some or the other physical activity.