Practicing good oral hygiene is very important as it ensures that you do not have bad breath (halitosis). Having bad breath is not only a problem as it can limit your social interactions, but bad breath can sometimes also be a symptom of a bigger and more dangerous health issue.
Chronic inflammation or infections of the throat, nose, and sinuses can be a reason for bad breath. Other reasons of bad breath include some cancers as well as a few metabolic disorders.
Bad breath is usually caused by bacteria that produces sulphur and that is present on the tongue as well as the throat. At times, the sulphur producing bacteria breaks down proteins at a very fast rate which results in odorous volatile sulphur compounds to be released from the throat and the back of the tongue.
Causes Of Bad Breath
As mentioned above, practicing good oral hygiene is important to ensure that you do not have bad breath. Bad breath can also be symptom of throat, sinus or nose infections as well as some cancers and metabolic disorders. However, we will not be covering the above factors. Below are some common causes of bad breath (halitosis).
- Dental factors such as periodontitis or have a poor oral hygiene.
- Dry mouth that can be caused by medication, stress or even alcohol.
- Smoking, as smoking lessens the oxygen levels of the mouth.
- Acid or bile reflux in the stomach.
- Chronic sinuses.
- Kidney failures, carcinomas, metabolic and biochemical disfunctions.
- Food items such as onions, garlic etc.
Bad Breath Symptoms
There are quite a few bad breath symptoms which have been enumerated for you below. However, you may actually never realize that you have bad breath. Sometime even if you do not you may think so and sometimes you do not even realize that you have bad breath. Always ask a friend or relative to tell you if that is the case.
- White coating on tongue especially on the back.
- Dry mouth.
- Mucous or post nasal drip.
- Burning tongue or morning bad breath.
- Build up around teeth.
- The constant need to clear the throat or thick saliva.
- Constant metallic and sour taste.
Bad Breath Prevention
Everything Health says it is important to ensure that practicing such oral health that will help in bad breath prevention. Regular bad breath which is not a symptom of a problem within the human body has the ability to make you a pariah in social circles and leave you confused, sad and frustrated. If you want to ensure that you do not have bad breath, try the following bad breath prevention techniques.
- Brush twice a day: Brushing twice a day helps remove the plaque and debris build up on the teeth which help in stopping cavities from developing which can cause bad breath.
- Floss after every meal: Flossing after every meal will ensure that no debris is left in your mouth which the enzymes in the mouth will need to break down. Therefore, resulting in no bad breath.
- Scrape or brush your tongue: Scraping or brushing the tongue is also very important in your oral health regime. People tend to not pay attention to it but it is the most important because bad breath causing bacteria are present on the tongue.
- Use a mouth rinse: Using a mouth rinse at least once a day can leave your mouth fresh and the chemicals in it will kill the bacteria that causes bad breath.
- Quit smoking or using tobacco products: Smoking or tobacco products take away the oxygen present in the mouth which can cause bad breath.
- Eat fresh fruits: Fresh fruits have the ability to wash away the bacteria from the teeth. Therefore, helping in stopping bad breath.
- Drink water: Having sufficient amount of water everyday will ensure that your mouth is never dry and as is mentioned above a dry mouth is also one of the causes of bad breath.
- Visit your dentist: Regular visits to dentist is a normal you should practice. Your dentist can advise you the best as to how to go along practicing dental hygiene and also will be able to detect if anything is wrong with you.
Bad breath or halitosis be caused due a multiplicity of problems. It is important to practice oral hygiene to ensure that you do not have bad breath. Look for the above mentioned symptoms in case you suspect that you have bad breath and also take preventive steps to ensure that you do not have bad breath.